Monday, October 5, 2009

...And it just keeps getting better

Ok, now I’m starting to wonder if some member of the Eat Pray Love crew is reading this blog, because they have managed to make my India-dreams come true. To start at the beginning, yesterday Jack and I were called back to the set for some more of our critically acclaimed (and everyone always says I’m my own hardest critic) work as extras. When we arrived at the set we noticed a definite lack of white faces. It turned out they were filming an Indian wedding scene and thus had about 60 Indian extras and 2 white extras. Who were those two whities? You guessed it, yours truly and Jack. Luckily we’re used to sticking out like sore thumbs at this point, so even though the rest of our posse was gone we quickly adjusted and it was just another day at the office.

The morning was off to a good start, the filming was in Delhi so the commute wasn’t as long and they didn’t try to stuff any extra people into our cab on the way there. It got even better, however, when they busted out a bright pink sari and told me that was my costume for the day. Cristie I hope you’re reading this because I know I was joking about showing up at your wedding in a sari, but now I’m seriously considering going back to the set and stealing that one because not only was it bright pink but it also had a ton of sequins on it and was pretty much amazing. So don’t say I didn’t warn you!

Its tough to say who looks more natural in their costume - me or Jack?

Of course I was also decked out in bangles and fake jewelry that reminded me of the type of things 4 year olds put on when they’re playing dress-up. I was fully prepared for another day of standing in the background when all of the sudden I was whisked away and asked to talk to the choreographer. As I was running behind him trying and keep up with his brisk no-nonsense walk, I learned that he was there with a troupe of Bollywood dancers to do some dance scenes for the wedding reception. I have to insert a side note here so that you all can get a mental image of el choreográpher. He had clearly spent an hour on his hair that morning and used a full container of gel to create some sort of an elvis-meets-McDreamy look. Then he added a bright pink button down shirt tucked into skin tight black jeans and topped it all off with some tiny round sunglasses with purple lenses (very Elton John). He was a kick.

I was so distracted by his looks that I almost missed the part where he tells me that in addition to the Bollywood dancers they want to have some other dancers, including cute kids a white person who is there for the wedding. Yes, you read that right. I spent the next half hour busting out Bollywood dance moves with some professional dancers complete with hip shaking, bangle rattling, and overly-expressive fake smiling. I get the distinct feeling I was out of the shot the entire time and it was actually just the American crew playing a prank on me, but the joke is on them because not only have I now fulfilled my dream of doing a Bollywood dance in a major motion picture, I am also fairly sure that some bigwigs will see the footage and sign me on to more roles immediately.

Later in the afternoon I actually ended up standing next to Julia Roberts in a scene where we tossed flower petals up in the air. I had the distinct privilege of then picking said flower petals out of Julia’s hair. It took all my strength to resist pulling out a chunk to sell on e-bay. This of course led to intense bonding in which we became best friends, agreed to go on a shopping spree, she slipped me a quick thousand bucks just for being me, made me the Godmother of her youngest child, you know, the usual. Actually, to be honest I’m pretty sure if she had seen my dancing earlier in the day she would have been asking for my autograph since it was pretty clear which one of the two of us was cooler and more talented.

Anyway, I think I’m done with my Hollywood experience, the 4am starts are getting a little old and to be honest there is no way I’m going to top yesterday’s experience anyway. So when 2011 rolls around and this movie finally comes out look for the white chick dancing her heart out as Tulsi walks by and you can say with pride that you read her blog back before she was famous.

2 comments:

  1. Suzanne,
    That sari is absolutely stunning, and don't let anyone tell you the hot pink is garish. The sequins, maybe, but not the hot pink.
    I am so enjoying reading about your adventures. When your mom first told me you were going to India, not for a minute did I think you would end up starring in a movie with Julia Roberts!
    It sounds like you're having lots of fun, and managing to get just a tad bit of work done as well. I'll look forward to your continuing blogs, and hearing colorful details when you return stateside.
    Your pal,
    Pat

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sooz:

    The hell with movies (though I agree that them calling you by name is pretty cool). You can take over for David Letterman, ot at least be his lead writer. Reading you is better than reading George W.'s interviews.

    Love,
    Tony

    ReplyDelete